6.20.2011

Poop and Skeletons and Mold (We Guess), Oh My!

Welcome to the beginning of my falling apart!  DISCLAIMER: DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU ARE EASILY GROSSED OUT!

We started tearing out the living room on Saturday, but I'll save that for another post.  Then, yesterday, some friends invited us to a rocky beach in southern Portland, ME.  When we got home, we had PLANNED to go to Lowe's to get the lumber we need to build up the basement wall, but they closed too early.  I'll go today after work and Hubs can get to building tomorrow on his first day of vacation.  So we got back to making good use of that dumpster in the driveway...

From the living room, we flowed into the entryway and then into the breakfast nook area of the kitchen, tearing out drywall and discovering the structure underneath.  

I know it's hard to see, but toward the bottom, can you see two yellow spots?  They look kind of like water spots, but there isn't ANY plumbing anywhere near here.

This is that same ceiling (it's directly above the front door).  See the dark spots toward the right?  Mouse poop encrusted with mouse pee...

Cuz I know you were all DYING to see this crap up close!

This is a wasps nest that Hubs found inside the house, above the front door...

We found TWO mouse skeletons over the entryway.  I didn't get a pic of the other one.  Aren't you bummed?

This is after the drywall was out, mouse poop and all, and right before Hubs helped me clean it all up.

10 mins later, Hubs had swept and vacuumed it all up.

This is the view now... no trim, no ceiling.  Yay!

If your kitchen looked like this, wouldn't you freak out when Hubs says "let's clear some it off, and cover it with plastic and get the ceiling down"?  I did... a little.  But he was SUPER helpful and he actually did about 80% of the prep AND cleanup.  I was too busy concentrating on not crying.

This is a quick peak at the "after".  (We actually pulled all the plastic off already, and cleaned up and mopped the floor.  With bleach.)  I plan to wash ALL our dishes all over again.  That's how gross this all was.

He pulled out about 4 square feet that looked like this.  Especially under the toilet and shower (which are above that ugly chandelier in the previous photo). 

He also found a baby mouse skeleton above the kitchen.

I'll end this post here, and I'll put the major problems we found in the kitchen structure in another post.  Go take a shower.  You know you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name so I know who you are! Thanks!